Our network

Candle Causes Herndon House Fire | Home & Garden

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Candle Causes Herndon House Fire
Home & Garden, News

From Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department:

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire Sunday, December 18, 2011, at approximately 6:05 a.m., in the Herndon area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located at 13102 Anvil Place.
Firefighters encountered fire and smoke coming from the rear of the two-story home upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack and brought the fire under control in approximately 10 minutes. Smoke alarms activated, allowing the occupants to escape the burning home. The fire originated in an upstairs bedroom. Three adult occupants and several pets have been displaced. One occupant received a non-life threatening injury and was treated at the scene by paramedics. Red Cross support was declined by the occupants.
Damage is estimated at $135,000.
According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An unattended candle in an upstairs bedroom caused the fire.
Candle Safety Tips

·    Do not place candles near combustible materials.
·    Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
·    Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
·    Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
·    Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryways. The potential air draft can “fan” the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
·    Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
·    Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
·    Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.

Home & Garden, News